Unbiased listening, analyzing, and communicating are the skills I bring that are most likely to be assets to a convention delegate.
• Using professional skills, I am accustomed to listening without bias to the underlying needs and concerns of my clients and their customers. This is a skill that is important to unconditionally represent the congregation and vote on its behalf on a variety of subjects.
• My ability to organize details from large data sets while simultaneously determining overall patterns assists to inform strategic objectives. This skill is useful in advising the vestry and congregation of issues pending before the diocese.
• Arranging those patterns into a cohesive message and conveying the message in a manner (or manners) appropriate to the audience is also key to utilizing the learnings from listening intently. This skill is essential to reporting back to the congregation on the actions and decisions of the convention.
At Christ Church Cathedral:
• I have been co-chair during the formation and growth of the Gun Violence Prevention working group, which has applied a public health approach to violence in our urban community. This ministry has grown based on consistent and continuous relation-building with city government, law enforcement, service organizations, advocates, and citizens to address the factors that contribute to violent behaviors.
• I served as facilitator and analyst for the Next Century Vision team.
• I have volunteered in the Interfaith Hospitality Network as a host to guest families.
• At St. Barnabas in Montgomery, I served on the vestry during the construction of the building and spearheaded the Millennial New Year’s Eve celebration.
Based on my own perspectives and participation in the Next Century Vision, my aspirations for the cathedral are layered.
• At the individual and congregational level, I hope that we continue to provide a safe, secure, and inclusive environment for people to explore their faith and to share their Christian journey.
• Across our three services, I would like to see opportunities for integration and communication about our worship styles, shared spiritual beliefs, and how those beliefs are expressed.
• It is also my hope that this shared expression of our relationship to Christ can be manifest in enhanced interaction across the diocese, both by giving support and by listening to successes and concerns of other parishes.
• With respect to our community, my hope is that we continue to extend a welcoming space for those who seek refuge and to reach outward to our urban neighbors by supporting social justice initiatives in our city.